- Julia Garner took home the award for best supporting actress in a drama series for her role in Netflix’s “Ozark” Sunday night at the 2019 Emmys held at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles.
- She beat out four “Game of Thrones” stars — Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams, Lene Headey, and Gwendoline Christie — for the award.
- After an overwhelmed acceptance speech, Garner later acknowledged the “Thrones” actresses in her press room speech attended by Insider’s Kim Renfro.
- “I honestly blacked out,” Garner said of accepting her award.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more.
At Sunday’s Emmys at LA’s Microsoft Theater, “Ozark” actress Julia Garner beat out stiff competition from four “Game of Thrones” stars: Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams, Lene Headey, and Gwendoline Christie, as well as Fiona Shaw of “Killing Eve,” for best supporting actress in a drama. But Garner later made up for the oversight.
In her post-awards press room speech attended by Insider’s Kim Renfro, Garner said that she “blacked out” during her acceptance speech, and retrospectively acknowledged the actresses.
“I just also want to get a chance to acknowledge all the women in my category, all the ‘Game of Thrones’ women, they’re so wonderful and I love watching them, and they’re amazing,” she said.
“I share this with them as well,” she added.
Read more: Michelle Williams used her Emmys speech to advocate for equal pay for women: ‘It empowers that person’
In her acceptance speech earlier that evening, Garner looked visibly overwhelmed and started: “Oh my god, I’m shaking.”
She then stuttered into a line about how the trophy looked like a piece of chocolate, and that she wanted “to give a piece to everyone that has been involved in my life.”
She also thanked her costar Jason Bateman, who she called “a guiding light through the beginning.”
HBO’s “Thrones” led the Emmys nominations with 32 total. It won the prize for best drama series, however, Tyrion Lannister actor Peter Dinklage was the only “Thrones” actor to be acknowledged at the awards, taking home the trophy for best supporting actor in a drama series.
- All the looks your favorite celebrities wore to the 2019 Emmys
- Here’s everything celebrities will get inside the 2019 Emmys gift bag
- The ‘Game of Thrones’ cast dazzled on the red carpet for the show’s last-ever Emmys. Here are the 14 show-stopping looks.